A lot of people will tell you that they don’t have a problem with drinking, that 10 beers a night is normal; guess what, it is not. Any more than 2 drinks more than twice a week is a sign that you can be an alcoholic. Alcoholic means that you have an alcohol addiction. If you are addicted to any substance you need to stop using it and never use it again, or if you are unable to stop under your own will power, you will need rehab at a treatment center.
Here are some signs that you may be an alcoholic:
• Develop tolerance to alcohol so that you need more to feel its effects
• Drink alone or hide your drinking
• Experience physical withdrawal symptoms of alcohol addiction — such as nausea, sweating and shaking — when you don’t drink
• Not remember conversations or commitments, sometimes referred to as a “black out”
• Make a ritual of having drinks at certain times and become annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned
• Be irritable when your usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn’t available
• Keep alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in your car
• Gulp drinks, order doubles or become drunk intentionally to feel good, or drink to feel “normal”
• Have legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances due to drinking
• Lose interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring you pleasure
• Be unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink
Addiction is a serious problem.
Alcohol addiction is serious, your problem with alcohol can lead to you losing your job, friends, spouse, and trust of your family. Many people with a problem using alcohol, rarely get help and mostly get worse. If you or someone you may know might have problems using alcohol or other drugs they are strongly encouraged to seek professional help, and immediately stop using.